Friday, August 7, 2009

Motivated

This past week I've been attending a conference for women in law enforcement. The department actually signed me up and told me I was going... The organization, I thought, was geared more towards supervisors who are female... (that's what I gathered by the title of the organization anyway). Well, I was wrong.

It's for both. It's for those who are already of rank and it's for those looking to gain rank. It's for the newbies and the oldies. And I love it.

Today I saw two key speakers. One is a speaker who is quite famous in the LE (law enforcement) community (been on TV, hosts a lot of seminars, part of one of the most popular training program). She spoke about the differences in males and females and the way we think. In this profession, a lot of agencies won't discuss this topic. It's taboo. Women are just like the men. We all wear blue. We're all the same.

Well, no, we're not.

And that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Because women are different, we are able to bring a whole new approach to situations. We handle things a little bit differently. We think differently. So, I took a lot of notes and I'm going to approach the training sergeant (which is guess who) and tell him about it. I don't know if he'll take me seriously. My department, I've noticed, hasn't adapted as quickly as some others in this area. But, I can at least try. That way trainers can be trained in how to train a female. What to expect, that sort of thing.

The real motivating speaker I saw today was of a sergeant who was stabbed 10 times in a grocery store while working off duty. I don't know why this particular story had such an effect on me. I mean, don't get me wrong, every story I hear of an officer seriously injured or killed always hits a part of me. But this really motivated me... This woman was stabbed only a couple years ago. She should've died. But because of God, circumstances and her physical condition, she lived. She's recovering.

Listening to her story made me realize that I want to be like her. No, I don't want to get seriously injured. But I want that strength. That motivation to survive. The physical fitness to kick ass and survive a horrible attack. I want that ability if it were to happen. She lit a fire in me that I didn't realize was burning low.

I'm not saying I don't have a motivation to survive. Of course I have that mentality. Aint nobody gonna take my life or hurt me. I was just motivated to do more. Work harder. Be the best that I can be.

So, I got up and ran outside in 95 degree weather (lets not forget the level of humidity...). I ran about 2 miles. I used to do that more often, but ever since my back injury I was advised not to do it for awhile. Well, it's now or never. It felt good. Well, ok, the sweating sucked and the fatigue sucked, but man I feel good. I'm going to try and run every day like I used to. I want to go back and train in fighting like I used to (Krav). There's a lot that I let go because I got too busy and things were stressful. But I'm done with all that. Working out is the best stress reliever right? Ok, second best. Sex is #1.

0 comments: