Sunday, August 30, 2009

Making a List, Checking it Twice

I got an e-mail today from my Oct-Dec sergeant, Curt** (for privacy issues, his name is spelled differently. Last thing I'd want is for him to stumble across this because his name popped up on a google alert...Same reason why my name isn't on here. These things get searched). And yes, this is the same sergeant I've spoke of previously. Anyway, in the e-mail, due to two of our officers going to specialty positions, evening shift is short and they need people to fill this position. He has asked one of us to move to evenings.

At first, I was like, YES!!!! I'll go!!! I'll e-mail him now and volunteer! Then I got to thinking... and realized, maybe going to evenings for that rotation wouldn't be such a great idea... So, I decided to make a Pros and Cons list for each.

Pros for evenings
-I don't have to deal with Curt and his drama
-Relatively normal schedule.. (work is 3pm to 11pm)
-More calls for service and more traffic enforcement.. So, I'll be busier
-Be able to work in daylight!

Cons for evenings
-I wouldn't get any holidays off and wouldn't get to see the family (This includes Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New years)
-Sgt. Smith frustrations (I love him, he's such a great guy. But when it comes to work, we conflict, a lot)
-Less personal time.. This is because I'm not a morning person, so I tend to wake up late and have only a couple hours before I have to go back to work.
-Tend to eat out more... Sad but true. Restaurants are open and the guys like to meet up and eat together.
-Hard to get a chance to work off duty jobs.

Pros for mids
-Though I wouldn't have holidays off, I would be able to still see my family on the holidays (since I work from 11pm to 7am)
-Would work with my favorite corporal :)
-I tend to have more personal time... I can sleep less on mids and still feel the same sometimes. It's weird.
-Easier to work morning/evening off duty jobs=more money.
-Tend to eat out less and cook more

Cons for mids
-No daylight, which can make for a crappy sleeping schedule at times... Sometimes it can be really hard to sleep and those days suck.
-A good friend of mine who's scheduled to be on my crew would most likely leave to go to evenings to fill the position.
-Curt drama, issues, frustrations, headaches.

Reviewing this list, I have more pros for continuing on the midnight shift. A huge factor is being able to see my family for the holidays, and still work. A huge con, which really influences me to move to evenings, is the Curt issue. The last time I was on his crew, about a year ago, he was corporal. And when we fought, or whatever, I still had a sergeant I could report to if I didn't feel comfortable going to Curt. Now that he's sergeant, I wouldn't have that luxury. And I know that even if I left to evenings, I may not have him as a sergeant now, but it would come eventually.

This is a hard decision. But, I love my family, I value my personal time and health. So, I think I'm going to continue on the midnight shift and endure Curt as best as I can. I hope my friend doesn't get moved off. I'm surprised they're asking someone from mids to fill eves, when mids is already so very short. I think they should just force someone from days to cover eves, since days is already stuffed with people. Oh well.

We'll see. It might turn out that I get forced to move, which in that case I'll just deal.

0 comments: